Homes evacuated during dangerous Walthamstow shed fire
7 February, 2022 12:00 am
2 Min Read
All homes within 25 metres were evacuated By Victoria Munro
Around 70 firefighters raced to Walthamstow yesterday morning after sheds with gas cylinders inside caught fire.
All homes within 25 metres of the blaze in Lyne Crescent were evacuated due to the risk of the cylinders exploding.
The sheds were destroyed, along with the first floor and roof of a neighbouring home, and the fire took almost three hours to control.
A woman and child left the burning home before the London Fire Brigade arrived and were treated by paramedics at the scene after breathing in smoke.
Station Commander David Reed, who was at the scene, said: “Fires involving gas cylinders are particularly dangerous as some cylinders can explode when exposed to heat. A cordon was in place as a precaution whilst crews worked hard to make the scene safe.
“There was lots of smoke so local residents in nearby properties were advised to stay indoors and keep their windows and doors shut.”
The Brigade was called at 4.10am and had the situation in hand by 7.10am with the help of crews from all over the borough, as well as stations in Stoke Newington and Edmonton.