News Walthamstow

Still no arrests in Walthamstow arson investigation four weeks on

Two men, aged 35 and 24, were found dead inside the property on 21st April

There have still been no arrests since two men died in a Walthamstow arson attack.

The bodies of the men, aged 35 and 24, who are believed to hail from Algeria, were recovered by firefighters on Sunday 21st April as a huge fire ripped through a two-storey terraced house on Forest Road.

The deceased have not yet been named by police but their next of kin have been informed. Detectives believe that the fire was started deliberately and a murder investigation is ongoing.

Locals told the Echo that the house had been squatted in since “late last year”. Neighbour Geetha Rajananthakumar said how she initially thought smoke was coming from her own home before she saw the property, just three doors away, engulfed in flames.


This story is published by Waltham Forest Echo, Waltham Forest's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


A next-door neighbour said the smell of burnt flesh still hung in the air in the days following the fire.

The Metropolitan Police are also probing whether the fire was related to an earlier incident outside the property.

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Webb, leading the Met’s investigation into the fire, said: “I am very keen to hear from anyone who witnessed something or perhaps has doorbell or dashcam footage.

“We are working hard to identify the two people who sadly died in the fire, not least so that their families and loved ones can be notified.”

The Met is asking anyone with information to call 101 or ‘X’ @MetCC and quote CAD7022/21Apr

If you have more information get in touch at [email protected]


No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month.  £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or annually 

More Information about donations