News

Tube driver disciplined over ‘free Palestine’ chant

The driver led a chant over a tube train’s PA system while it was packed with passengers heading to a protest, reports Noah Vickers, Local Democracy Reporter

credit TfL
credit TfL

A tube driver who led a chant of “free, free Palestine” on a Central Line train in October has faced “disciplinary action”, Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed.

In footage shared across social media, the driver appeared to lead the chant over the PA system on a Central Line train packed full of people heading to a pro-Palestine march in central London.

The driver was suspended by TfL while an investigation was carried out into his conduct.

In an update on Wednesday (17th), a TfL spokesperson said: “We can confirm that, following a thorough internal investigation in accordance with our agreed formal processes, disciplinary action has been taken with regard to the driver who made announcements on the Central Line on 21st October last year.


This story is published by Waltham Forest Echo, Waltham Forest's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


“The driver has also written to faith groups that we have been engaging with since October to apologise for the announcements and for the impact they had on some customers travelling on the train and in the wider community.

“It is critically important to everyone at TfL that our network feels, and is, a safe and welcoming place for all Londoners, and we will do all we can to continue to ensure that.”

The driver remains employed by TfL. In the footage of the incident, he could be heard saying “free, free” to which the passengers responded “Palestine” – a popular chant at protests.

He added: “Hope you all have a blessed day. Look after yourselves […] Keep all those people in your prayers.”

Commenting in October, Transport Secretary Mark Harper said the incident was “disturbing”, while security minister Tom Tugendhat said many would find it “intimidating”.


No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month.  £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or annually 

More Information about donations