News

Khan makes fresh call for Oxford Street pedestrianisation

London mayor says move is “right thing to do” and would help reinvigorate the West End shopping street, reports Noah Vickers, Local Democracy Reporter

Sadiq Khan (inset) wants to see Oxford Street pedestrianised but the decision must be made by Westminster Council
Sadiq Khan (inset) wants to see Oxford Street pedestrianised but the decision must be made by Westminster Council

Sadiq Khan has confirmed that he still wants to see Oxford Street pedestrianised – as he admitted that the famous shopping destination “isn’t what it used to be”.

Asked this week about his ambition to ban cars from the street, which he first committed to in 2016, he said he was trying to use his “charm” to persuade Westminster City Council that pedestrianisation “is the right thing to do”.

The council is opposed to the move, citing concerns raised locally “about the potential impact on public transport, traffic diversions and disabled access in the area”.

In his 2016 election manifesto, the mayor told voters he wanted “to turn one of the world’s most polluted streets into one of the world’s finest public spaces – a tree-lined avenue from Tottenham Court Road to Marble Arch”.

The topic was raised by Caroline Pidgeon, the London Assembly’s Liberal Democrat group leader, at a Mayor’s Question Time session on Thursday (12th).

She told Khan: “Oxford Street is London’s flagship high street and yet it’s struggling, like so many others.

“The pedestrianisation of Oxford Street was in your 2016 manifesto – yet despite your efforts in 2018, Westminster Council withdrew from the plans.

“Given the change in administration in Westminster [from Conservative to Labour in 2022] what conversations have you had with Westminster Council about fully pedestrianising Oxford Street?”


This story is published by Waltham Forest Echo, Waltham Forest's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


The mayor said that while he “loves” Oxford Street, he acknowledges it “isn’t what it used to be”.

He added that City Hall has been having “really good conversations with the new [Labour-run] council, who have already invested significant sums in regenerating Oxford Street.”

The mayor continued: “They’ve begun the process – that begins with getting rid of these candy shops, [as] many of them may be acting illegally. We’ve also had good news in relation to new businesses going into Oxford Street.

“They’re also working on schemes to look at different parts of Oxford Street. I’m afraid – it’s just the reality – they’re not in favour of the full street being pedestrianised. I still try and use one’s charm to persuade them that’s the right thing to do.

“In the meantime though, they’ve got some really exciting plans in relation to regeneration, and I’m fully supportive of their plans.”

Pidgeon pointed out that Westminster’s plans include the installation of “twelve new controlled pedestrian crossings and improving 45 existing crossing points”.

She pressed the mayor on whether he will push the council “to go the whole way, and pedestrianise it”, adding: “When Carnaby Street was pedestrianised back in 1973, they saw a 30% increase in the number of pedestrians entering the area.”

Khan agreed that pedestrianisation has had positive effects elsewhere, pointing to the section of the Strand outside Somerset House, which he said had been “transformed” for the better.

He reiterated: “To give the council credit, and it’s important we do, they’ve moved a long way since where we were in 2022.

“And also, they’ve managed to attract good new businesses to come as well, which is interesting and it shows that their strategy is working.

“I’ll continue to try and persuade them to go even further, but we should welcome the movement there’s been there.”


No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month.  £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or annually 

More Information about donations