Waltham Forest Echo

Waltham Forest Echo

Leytonstone McDonald's shut down over mice infestation

The McDonald's was ordered to close until it was safe for the public

Hero for Leytonstone McDonald's shut down over mice infestation
Council officers inspected the branch on High Road, Leytonstone, last week (Stock image/Pixabay)
By Victoria Munro 22 October 2021

Leytonstone McDonald's was shut down last week after the discovery it was infested with mice.

Customers at the branch on High Road, Leytonstone, were bustled out of the restaurant by Waltham Forest Council officers shortly before lunchtime on 15th October.

The restaurant was shut down that day after officers, acting on a complaint from a customer, discovered droppings in the kitchen and a dead mouse in a cupboard.

It is thought that this is the first time a council has shut down a McDonald's over poor hygiene for more than 20 years.

What officers found inside Leytonstone McDonald's (WF Council)

A spokesperson for McDonald’s said: “Cleanliness and hygiene is of the utmost importance to us.

"As soon as this issue was brought to our attention, we worked with our pest prevention partner to take immediate action.

"This included extensively cleaning the restaurant and completing a number of structural works to ensure that any hygiene issues are permanently dealt with.

"We are working closely with Environmental Health officers to ensure that the restaurant can be safely reopened as soon as possible.”

Mice droppings on the floor (WF Council)

Council deputy leader Clyde Loakes said: “We take all complaints about food hygiene very seriously, no matter how big or small the business.

"Customers need to be able to dine in confidence and safety and we will not hesitate to act when businesses do not meet their responsibilities.

“We know McDonald’s does have a good record for cleanliness which is why these cases are so rare and I understand this is the first time council officers have closed one of its branches in more than two decades.

“I am glad that the company has acknowledged their failings in this incident and are cooperating with council officers.”

Yesterday, Thames Magistrates Court granted a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order, forbidding the branch from reopening until the risk to the public is gone.

McDonald's agreed to pay the council £1,821 to compensate the costs of the closure.