Waltham Forest Echo

Waltham Forest Echo

Electric bike sets Leytonstone house on fire

The fire is thought to have been started by an e-bike left to charge in one of the bedrooms

Hero for Electric bike sets Leytonstone house on fire
Damage at the home in Grove Road (credit: LFB)
19 January 2022

Firefighters have issued a safety warning to owners of electric bikes after one set a Leytonstone house on fire.Firefighters have issued a safety warning to owners of electric bikes after one set a Leytonstone house on fire.

No one in the home on Grove Road was harmed during the fire yesterday but much of the ground floor was damaged.No one in the home on Grove Road was harmed during the fire yesterday but much of the ground floor was damaged.

The London Fire Brigade was called shortly after 4pm on 18th January and had the fire under control within in an hour.The London Fire Brigade was called shortly after 4pm on 18th January and had the fire under control within in an hour.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a fault with the battery pack of an e-bike left charging in one of the bedrooms.The fire is thought to have been caused by a fault with the battery pack of an e-bike left charging in one of the bedrooms.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Two occupants were alerted to the fire when they heard bangs coming from a bedroom on the ground floor. They investigated and saw a fire in the room before leaving the building.A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Two occupants were alerted to the fire when they heard bangs coming from a bedroom on the ground floor. They investigated and saw a fire in the room before leaving the building.

“We know that lithium-ion batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.“We know that lithium-ion batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.

“Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as spares as this can increase the chance of damage to cells. You should also not expose them to extremes of temperature.“Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as spares as this can increase the chance of damage to cells. You should also not expose them to extremes of temperature.

“You should always make sure you unplug your charger once it’s finished charging. Always follow manufacturers’ instructions when charging and we would advise not to leave it unattended or while people are asleep.“You should always make sure you unplug your charger once it’s finished charging. Always follow manufacturers’ instructions when charging and we would advise not to leave it unattended or while people are asleep.

“This is also a timely reminder to keep internal doors to rooms not in use closed to stop smoke spreading if a fire starts. The property sustained substantial smoke damaged due to internal doors inside the property being left open.”“This is also a timely reminder to keep internal doors to rooms not in use closed to stop smoke spreading if a fire starts. The property sustained substantial smoke damaged due to internal doors inside the property being left open.”

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Leytonstone, Leyton and Walthamstow fire stations attended the scene.Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Leytonstone, Leyton and Walthamstow fire stations attended the scene.